1. Introduce the materials to the children and ask them to problem solve how these materials will help learn about the Water Cycle.
2. With the children helping, place the small container into the large bowl and weight it with one of the stones.
3. Pour in water gently into the big bowl without getting any in the container. Water that is room temperature works fine and you can have the children touch the water to set the stage for their observations.
4. Cover the large bowl with plastic wrap and secure with the elastic band.
5. Place the second stone in the middle of the plastic wrap just over top of the small container.
6. Place the bowl in a sunny spot for a few days, checking every day.
Questions to ask:
What do you think will happen to the water?
How long do you think it will take for the water to evaporate?
Do you think evaporation needs hot or cold water?
What is the sun doing to the water?
Where do you think the droplets of water will go?
How much water do you think will collect in the small container?