This is a very simple experiment that will show children how precipitation is made. It is a second experiment in our Water Cycle lesson plan and it helps break up the water cycle into smaller parts for the children to understand better.
• Water cycle
• Hydrologic Cycle
• Mirror with a handle (2 if possible)
• Plug in Kettle
• Oven Mitt
• Construction paper
1. Freeze the mirror before you begin the experiment.
2. When you bring out the mirror, allow the children to touch it briefly to show them that it is cold. If they over handle it, have the second mirror available so you are able to go on with the experiment without stopping.
3. Plug in the kettle and talk about safety as you wait for it to heat up.
4. Discuss the steam that is coming out of the kettle and how it is evaporated water.
5. Hold the mirror in the steam with it above the construction paper.
6. Water will begin to bead on the mirror and should fall onto the construction paper.
7. Discuss what you are seeing.
Nest page will give you some questions you can ask your students to help your kids understand the water cycle better.