1. If you are using husks from a cob of corn, dry the husks and silk in the sun for between 1-3 days.
2. Soak husks in a pail of water for about 10 minutes to soften them.
3. Layer 6 husks on top of each other with the pointy ends all together. Cut the husks so they are all about 8-inches long.
4. Bundle the thin ends of the husks around a long, thick section of corn silk “hair.” Make sure the smooth sides of the husks face inward. Use string or twine to tie the thin ends tightly.
5. Peel the fatter ends down like a banana peel so that the hair sprouts up in the middle (like the fruit of a banana). Tie a string around the fatter ends to gather them together in a round knot to form a neck for a head with silk “hair” sprouting out the top.
6. Roll a husk around a pipe cleaner. Tie one end to the ends of two other rolled-up husks and braid them into a 6-inch long piece that will become posable arms.
7. Create two more braids like this to form two legs.
8. Stick the arm braid into the body of your husk doll so that it lays horizontally right below the head (perpendicular to the trunk of the body). Tie a string around the body of the doll right beneath the arms to hold them in place and form a waist.
9. Tie the ends of the leg pieces to two the ends of two of the husks that form the inside of the body section.
10. Wrap another husk around your doll’s shoulders and back, criss-crossing the ends across your doll’s chest. Tie a string around the waist to secure this husk to your doll’s body and form shoulders.
11. Now you have a girl doll with a skirt. To make a fuller shirt, you can layer more husks (fatter ends up) around the waist of your doll and tie them tightly to the doll with another string.
12. To make pants for a boy doll, split the husks hanging down into two sections, each wrapped around one of the leg pieces, and use three pieces of string per leg to tie the husks closely to the leg at the upper thigh, knee, and ankle areas.
13. You can use small pieces of cloth or corn husk to fashion accessories for your doll such as a belt, a hat, a bonnet, an apron, or a vest. You can also add buttons for decoration and use markers to draw facial features on your doll.